Friday, August 12, 2005

1130 kHz

It recently occured to me that I've never actually discussed in this blog exactly what kind of music I play on Seldom Heard Radio. I frequently post playlists to give readers a taste of the range you might hear during the broadcast. On the air I announce the show as "a freeform blend of esoteric music from the 1960's to the present". This isn't 100% true because I've played music from the 1930's, 40's and 50's (in small doses) as well over the years.

Because I love a variety of music it's easier for me to explain what you won't hear on Seldom Heard Radio. What you won't hear: rap, 95% of what has been called "country" music (since 1975 anyway), gospel music (though I have played less heavy handed Christian bands before) commercial pop ala Britney Spears, and klezmer music. Everything else is fair game.

I prefer "indie" music ... non-commercial music of all genres performed by people who have a passion for their craft. I also go wild for psychedelic folk music which has been called wyrd folk. During any given broadcast you could hear anything from R. Crumb and his Cheap Suit Serenaders to the Thievery Corporation all in the same set!

No comments: